Moving away

What if I am thinking about moving?

Talk about it with your ex-partner first. This could make the separation more difficult for your children, especially if it means:

  • being apart from their other parent
  • a break in contact with family/whānau and friends
  • starting a new school.

What if my ex-partner has moved away?

Many parents live apart in ways that make weekly or even monthly contact difficult with their children.

Don’t let this stop you encouraging your children to have contact.

  • Keep in contact by phone or online.
  • Look out for cheap calling specials and cheap airfares.
  • Use internet programmes such as Skype and ‘MSN Messenger’ type chat services to.
  • Stay in touch.
  • Use the school holidays and plan contact well ahead.