Apply for treatment for yourself

It’s free to make a voluntary application to the court for detention for addiction treatment for yourself.

Before you apply

Before you apply, you need to make sure a place is available for you in a treatment facility. A judge can only make an Order if a place is available. The manager of the facility must also agree to you coming for treatment.

Forms you’ll need

You’ll need to fill in this form and give it to your local court:

Voluntary application for detention in an institution [DOCX, 12 KB]

You’ll also need a letter from the treatment facility confirming that they'll take you.

You may want to talk to a lawyer. If you can’t afford a lawyer, you may be able to get legal aid.

Legal aid

Find your local court

What happens after you apply

If the judge believes you're an alcoholic or drug addict and that you understand what your application will mean for you, the judge can make an Order detaining you for treatment for alcoholism or drug addiction.

This page was last updated: